The collections feature in Plex allows you to group related movies, TV shows, and music to help simplify how your media files are displayed within Plex. For example, there are over 10 Star Wars movies, so to have them all displayed together in a collection makes it easy to choose which movie to watch, and also allows you to organize them in a meaningful manner.
If you already have a lot of movies, then grouping movies together in a collection may seem like quite a task. The good news is that Plex allows you to easily add multiple movies to a collection at one time. The steps below explain how you can do this.
Adding multiple movies to a collection at one time
To add multiple movies to a collection in Plex can be done using the following steps:
- Access your Plex Media Server through the URL using the administrator account.
- Click the Movies option in the menu on the left.
- Hover your mouse cursor over the first movie you would like to add to a collection. In the upper-left corner of the movie post you will see a circle appear, click the circle and a checkmark will appear. This means the movie is selected.
- Repeat step 3 for each movie you would like to add to the collection.
- Once all the movies are selected, click the Edit (pencil/pen) icon in the toolbar in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- In the Edit window, click the Tags option on the left. This will display a list of editable fields.
- At the bottom of the list of fields you will see the Collections field.
- Enter a name for the collection (or an existing collection name), and then click the Save Changes button.
Once you have completed the steps you will see the movies you selected disappear from the main list of movies since they are now part of the collection you specified. If the collection your provided already existed, then the movies were added to the existing collection.
The above steps can also be used to add any other media, such as music, and TV shows to collections. You can even add different media types to the same collection. For example, you can have all your Christmas music and movies added to a collection called "Christmas", and when that collection is displayed you will see both the music and movies you added to the collection.