Installing Plex Media Server on a Windows machine is pretty straight forward. There is only a 32-bit version of Plex for Windows, regardless if you are using the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows.
To install Plex Media Server on a Windows machine, use the following steps:
- Open a Web browser and goto the Plex Media Server downloads page.
- Select Windows from the drop-down list and click the "Download" button to download the installation file.
- Once the file is downloaded, double-click the file to begin the installation.
- In the first window, click the Install button to start the installation.
If you aren’t using an administrator account in Windows, you may be required to enter your administrative account password. Enter the password to complete the install.
- Once Plex Media Server is installed, it will now run under the administrative account that was used to install the application. At this point you have two options:
- If you only have the administrative account on your Windows machine, or you would just like Plex to run under the administrative account, click the Launch button to start Plex.
- If you would like to run Plex Media Server under a different account (highly recommended), then click the Close button. Once the installation dialog is closed, you should follow the steps outlined in the Moving Plex Media Server to a Different User Account page.
Plex Media Server should now be installed on your Windows system. At this point, if you choose to run Plex as is you can then launch Plex (if you didn't start it at the end of the install), and navigate to the Plex URL in your Web browser (http://[IP address of you Plex system]:32400/web/index.html#).
Now that Plex is installed, and you have verified it is running, now would be a good time to take a backup of your Plex Media Server. Making regular backups would help restore your Plex server with all your settings in case you need to reinstall Plex.